There are many towns and villages within the Parkes Shire LGA (local government area) and Kadungle is one of them. Located 15km from Tullamore and 20km from Trundle, it is second to Tullamore as the westernmost town or village in the Parkes Shire.
Early History of Kadungle
One family with strong links to Kadungle are the Crowleys. Don Crowley lived on ‘Moira’ station until his death in 1916. The Crowleys produced some very good tennis players, who played for the local club at Kadungle called the Medway Tennis Club.
PLEASE NOTE: While the newspaper report states the name of the deceased as ‘Don’, the family has been in touch with Parkes Shire Library and the correct name is DANIEL CROWLEY.
The first mention of Kadungle (this spelling, not the original Cardungle) in newspapers appears in 1908 in an article about Public Works Tenders. A tender had been accepted to erect station buildings at The Troffs, Kadungle, Gobondery and Tullamore.
There were also moves to have Kadungle reserve set aside as a public watering place. Other infrastructure was also added, with a road leading up to Kadungle Siding, 20 allotments for sale and provision of a large grain shed and weighbridge (Western Champion 24 October 1912, p.28).
There were various schools at Kadungle. However they were not multiple schools like at Brolgan (Brolgan Public School and Brolgan Siding Public Scool) but rather a single school that came under a variety of guises.
David Nash informed historyparkes that an application for a school at Cardungle was submitted and declined in 1892 (Source: Report of the Minister of Public Instruction Upon the Condition of Public Schools Established and Maintained Under the Public Instruction Act of 1880 p.41) The Crowley family were instrumental in getting formal education brought to the area, writing several letters to the Department of Education. In Tullamore & District Schools: A Centenary of Education 1890 – 1990 it lists the following schools; Corilla (Cardungle-Rosewood) Half-Time School, Moira-Cardungle Subsidised School and then Kadungle School in 1927. The school called Corilla commenced in 1898, even though the two Crowley families had made their first application in 1893. While the Crowleys had been patient, they didn’t sit and wait for the Department to respond, employing a private teacher, Emma Egan, who was known as “Aunt Amy” and the school was based in “Cardungle” woolshed.
Mills & Mills et al state the beginning of public schooling in Kadungle:
Very soon, Mr Charles W. Stewart, who had been a pupil teacher at Bedgerabong, was appointed. Mr Stewart was to live “Rosewood” and the school opened there on 14th November 1898, and at Cardungle the next day.
The Cardungle School was a hut near the woolshed, which was built on the boundary between Cardungle and Moira. The school, described as measuring fourteen feet by ten feet, had walls of upright sawn slab and an iron roof but no ceiling. The room was well lit by daylight. The classroom pine furniture consisted of two forms (seats) and two desks, each of twelve feet long, a press (cupboard) and a chair. Sums and writing were done on slates with chalk and later in books.
Source: Mills & Mills et al (1990) p.96
According to Mills & Mills et al (1990):
The provisional school opened on the 31st May, 1927 and the first teacher was Mr Phil Graff. Subsequent teachers were Mr Jack O’Donnell, Mr Eric Smith, Mr Jack O’Neill, Mr Harold Reece, Mr Frank Lyndon, Miss Brook (or Miss Gibson) and Mr Eddie Reynolds.
Kadungle’s playground was a large cleared area with a few green box trees, wilgas and pines. Two 1,000 gallon rainwater tanks adjoined the building and water for these helped maintain the garden.
In the early 30s the school had between thirty and forty pupils attending daily. The children came from the surrounding farms or the railway fettlers settlement at Kadungle.
Games played at recess included cricket, rounders, soccer, marbles and hide-and-seek. Occasionally the children had a swimming “lesson” in the Pastures Protection Board Dam.
Cricket matches were played with surrounding schools and, as there were usually more boys than girls, the girls were called to join in. The children usually travelled to other schools on the back of Fred Stone’s truck. An inter school cricket match where Kadungle scored only four runs is remembered with good humour.
Kadungle had an active P&C Association, with meetings being held quarterly. In 1941 Kadungle decided to hold a combined sports gathering with Eribung (Numulla), Kelvin Grove and Gillenbine Schools to celebrate Empire Day. Correspondence students were also invited to participate. The gathering became an annual event and the forerunner of the Gobondery Sports Carnivals.
Kadungle [School] finally closed in December 1947. Thereafter the children travelled by bus to Tullamore and Trundle Schools. The twenty years of Kadungle Provisional School saw the education of many local children through a difficult period in Australia’s history, covering both The Great Depression and World War II.
Spotted a mistake? Maybe you have something to add. If you have stories, photographs and/or memories of Kadungle that you are willing to share, please contact Parkes Shire Library via firstname.lastname@example.org Your stories are part of the history of the Parkes Shire, allow us to preserve them for posterity and share them on this blog. Alternatively you may leave comments on this page.
NEW SOUTH WALES GOVERNMENT RAILWAYS. (December 2, 1908). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001), p. 6428. Retrieved August 26, 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article226596341
NOTIFICATION, UNDER THE PUBLIC ROADS ACT OF 1902, OF WITHDRAWAL AND DEDICATION OF LANDS FOR ROAD. (August 24, 1910). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001), p. 4749. Retrieved August 27, 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article226766456
Australian War Memorial. (n.d.). Paybook photograph, taken on enlistment, of NX37432 Private Donald Leonard Watts, 2/30th Battalion [Digital image]. Retrieved August 27, 2020, from https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C333785